Drive Smarter This Summer And Save Money
- February 3, 2015
Whether you’re concerned about your carbon footprint or just want to drive smarter, we can all save money on fuel consumption by following these simple tips. In fact, by sprucing up the way you drive and keeping your car in tip top condition you could save up to 20% on gas! If we were all able to make that change, New Zealand could save up to 620 million litres of fuel each year!
Here are some simple tips to help you save on fuel while you help save the planet!
- Keep an eye on your speed – You could save up to 10% of your fuel by simply reducing your speed by 10km/h.
- Reduce weight – Heavier cars use more fuel, so take heavy items out of the car when you’re not using them.
- Check your tyres – You can save fuel by making sure your tyres are at the right pressure. You can even look into Energywise approved, fuel efficient tyres which can save you up to 7% of your fuel.
- Reduce drag – Any storage units, bike or surf racks can have an impact on your car’s fuel efficiency. Remove them when you’re not using them to save on fuel.
- Check your driving style – Driving at an even and steady speed, and making sure to accelerate and brake smoothly, will save you on fuel.
- Look after your car – Regular servicing and wheel alignments will help you save money and also help your car run smoother, for longer.
- Watch the road – Look ahead, maintain a safe following distance and anticipate when to brake. This will save you fuel, as you’re not accelerating and braking as dramatically or as often.
- Reduce idling time – If you’re stopping for more than 30 seconds, turn your engine off to save fuel.
To get an idea of how much you could save on fuel, and more information on fuel efficiency, check out https://www.energywise.govt.nz/tools/fuel-economy for their great fuel economy tool.